The post office, shop and bakehouse circa 1965.
There had been a store and bakehouse in this position since the later half of the 19th century. In the 1890s, it had been run by the Gosticks, whom Syd Tyrrell, in his book 'The Countryman's Tale', accuses of sharp practices! The Gosticks struck lucky as the shop, which had an off-licence, was sold to brewers Hopcroft and Norris in the boom years when the Great Central Railway was being built through the parish. The inflated price (according to Syd Tyrrell) allowed the Gosticks to buy Fir Hill Farm on Lime Avenue, in the attic of which was preserved Gostick's slate (credit book) for 1893-4, which is now in the NRO.
Just beyond the shop can be seen the door to the flour loft above the bakehouse. The ovens, which can been seen in DK155, were also used to cook the village's Sunday roasts. This shop was the village Post Office for part of the middle of the 20th century. See KL117 more about the history of the Post Office in the village, and see KL026 and DK011 for earlier photos of this shop.
Photographer: Mr David Kench
Image lent by : Mr David Kench
Connected Photos: DK011 | DK155 | KL026 | KL117
top of page
Eydon Village Photo Archive
bottom of page