One of a set of professional photographs taken by John Harrington in 1868 and commissioned, it is thought, by the Rector of the time, the Revd Arthur Empson.
This shows a view looking north across the village green, which at that time didn’t appear to have much grass. Beneath and beyond the branches of the magnificent Cross Tree can be seen the 3-storey Tudor porch of the Blackamoors Head public house with its name board above the front entrance. The Cross Tree gradually became hollow and was eventually lost to Dutch Elm disease. See also DK097a
Image lent by Mr David Kench
top of page
Eydon Village Photo Archive
bottom of page