Part of Eydon Hall was used as a Convalescent Home where wounded soldiers could recuperate after being wounded during the great war of 1914-1918.
The full story is told in the EHRG booklet 'Lest We Forget' A number of soldiers, from a variety of regiments, are pictured in the courtyard with Lady Hesketh (owner of Eydon Hall) in the centre. Standing behind her is Doctor Glencorse Hays with Sister A.M. Williams from Woodford Halse on the left and Matron Aline Colston on the right. Soldiers were not allowed out into the village but some fraternisation was reported at the park gates!
Photographer: Unknown Professional
Image lent by : Mr David Kench
Connected Photos: AP040 | AP041 | KL048
top of page
Eydon Village Photo Archive
bottom of page