Detail from early photograph DK005.
This photograph was taken in 1868 by Mr John Harrington after the restoration and building of the new south aisle but before the installation of the memorial window to Rev Empson in 1878. It shows, blocked up, but clearly round topped, the old east window of the south aisle. Another Norman or Romanesque window can be seen on the pre-restoration drawings and paintings of the front of the old south aisle (KL038, DK003, DK004). The presence of these two windows proves that the original south aisle was built in the Norman period. Other evidence for Norman work in the church are the flat buttresses on the east wall of the chancel (KL371) and the round pillar on the north aisle (DK090) and the Baptism font. (DK093)
Image lent by Mr David Kench