Joan Parish (later Phipps) by the house pump in 1929.
This was taken in the yard of what is now 21 High Street, which was then two cottages. The pump may well have been the main source of water as the cost of a tap to access the public taps was 2/- a year.
The nearest tap was across the road at the top of Doctors Lane, so it would all have to be carried back.
How safe the pump was is unknown, but as the yard backed on to the bottom of Manning's farmyard, there was always some risk of infection.
Photographer was a member of the Parish family.
Image lent by Mrs Joan Phipps
Connected images KL123, KL126