Ex shop at 39 High Street, Eydon
This building, with its large window on the front and small window on the edge, was the shoe maker shop, cobblers and beer shop of Thomas Inge. Syd Tyrrell tells how Thomas Inge, a prosperous shoe maker and his wife Hannah had a dressmaking business and, despite being Methodists, had a sideline selling beer to be consumed off the premises.
The building was re-roofed in 1887, when the scaffolding was used as one half of a huge decorative arch used to span the road to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. (this can be seen in image DK023) Thomas and Hannah died within a month of each other in 1892, and the business died with them.
Photographer: Dr Kevin Lodge
Image lent by : Dr Kevin Lodge
Connected Photos: KL364 | DK023
top of page
Eydon Village Photo Archive
bottom of page