The school was designed by Sir Henry Dryden of Canons Ashby and opened in 1854. Made possible by the gift of the site by two landowners, John Ivens and Benjamin Aplin, upon condition that it was only gifted for as long as it was needed for a school. The Revd. C. A. F. Annesley, the owner of Eydon Hall at the time and a son of Lord Valentia, then agreed to pay for the building in recognition of which his Coat of Arms is set in stone above the front entrance. The Annesley coat of arms can be seen over the main entrance door in recognition of Annesley's generosity, and aboe that the bell which was used to summon the children to school.
The photo shows the school as it was before it closed in 1968 having been declared unsafe by the County Council and very much as it was when it was built in 1853 /4 but wiht the addition of the dormer windows - to let more light into the classrooms.
In the 1851 census there were 79 children in the village between the ages of 4 - 12 and the Rector of the time, the Rev'd Francis Clerke, decided that a new school was needed to replace the small, thatched roof one at the rear of the site, although sadly he didn't live long enough to see his dream realised as he died in Nice, France in 1853. The church authorities tried to ascertain whether any descendants of the two donors of the land wished to make a claim by inheritance but to no avail. With a “reversionary title” the building was not easy to sell but after some considerable time it was sold and converted into a dwelling in the early 1980s no doubt with insurance against someone having a valid claim by inheritance to ownership of the land and any building upon it. The proceeds of the sale, as required by the Charity Commission, provided the founding capital for the Eydon Educational Trust Fund. A charity to assist young persons who reside, or whose parents reside, in the village to receive grants towards furthering their education.
Photograph Mr David Kench