Eydon Church from south, 1840s
Pen and ink drawing by George Clarke for Alfred Beesley's "History of Banbury", published 1841. It shows the St Nicholas Church from the south, from Eydon Hall Park, with the ornate private gate entrance from Eydon Hall on the left. The church is shown here before the restoration of 1865, which removed the small south porch and separate aisle and replaced them with a new south aisle connected to the nave by a single sweeping roof. George Clarke, born 1790, died 1868, came from Scaldwell in Northants and was employed by Alfred Beesley to record buildings in Northamptonshire and around Banbury. Other views of the church before restoration are in KL037 and KL038, and DK002 - DK005.
Photographer: Mr George Clarke of Scaldwell
Image lent by : Mr David Kench
Connected Photos: DK002 | DK003 | DK004 | DK005 | KL038 | KL037