This naive painting shows an elaborate archway erected between numbers 32 and 45 in the High Street for the village celebrations.
Syd Tyrrell tells how the arch was made by John Coy, the village builder, who was putting a new roof on the cottages on the right of the High Street. To do this he had to erect scaffolding tower and this gave him the idea to erect another on the other side of the street and then bridge the street to make a triumphant arch to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in June 1887. The arch was covered in evergreens, and decorated with flags, banners and flower pots from neighbour's windowsills. It apparently put the two other arches in the village in the shade. The celebrations included a mounted procession around the village and when this came down the High Street, the horses and riders went through the main arch, whilst the pony riders when through the smaller arches to either side.
Image lent by : Mr David Kench
Connected Photos: KL256 | DK059 | KL363
top of page
Eydon Village Photo Archive
bottom of page