One of the 'Sun Pictures', from 1868, the earliest known photos of the village.
Looking north from the Green the picture is dominated by the magnificent old elm tree, known as the Cross Tree. Sadly killed by Dutch Elm Disease it was finally felled in 1978. (see DK063). Almost hidden beneath it is what was then the Blackamoors Head pub, more details of which can be seen in DK062a.
Photographer: Mr John Harrington
Image lent by : Mr David Kench
Connected Photos: DK062a | DK063