Catalogue of sale, at Red Lion in Banbury, of Eydon Estate with details of four cottages.
The first cottage, now 12 High Street, was let to Thomas Colton a gardener at Eydon Hall, who had come to the village with Lady Hesketh. She had given him the cottage rent free under the old system of 'three lives', his life, that of his wife and a survivor. With the prospect of income from this cottage a long way off, it is not surprising that it appears not to have been sold. The next cottage, now 10 High Street was let to Thomas Rogers and was sold to Mr Anna for £240. Thomas Rogers was shepherd and used to live at 16 High Street until driven out by the Great Fire of 1905. The third cottage, now 8 High Street, was sold to Mr Barton for £130. It was a small cottage, let to Owen Yates. Owen was a railway plate layer and had come to the village from Turweston. The last cottage, one up one down, was let to Edward J Amos and sold for £65. It now forms the core of 6 High Street.
Image lent by : Mrs Margie Davies
Connected Photos: KL015 range | KL108 | DK034
top of page
Eydon Village Photo Archive
bottom of page