Catalogue of sale, at Red Lion in Banbury, of Eydon Estate with details of four cottages, including Butchers shop.
This is a group of cottages in Blacksmiths Lane. Lot 18, now 2 Blacksmiths Lane, was let to Henry Bull, a waggoner on the farm. His photo can be seen in DK026. It was sold to Mr Prestidge for £85. The next lot, known as Sunny Bank,is a small house, then let to Henry C. Lovesey. Henry had originally come to the village as a milkman, and was living in 1901 on Eydon Moors Farm. This house can be seen in the background of KL031. Lot 20 was a small cottage, now 8 Blacksmiths Lane, which had been used as the Foresters Office. Up to the the 1980s, its toilet was outside on the far side of Blacksmiths Lane. This cottage can be seen in KL042. Also seen in the right of that image is Lot 21, the Butchers Shop, now known as 21 High Street. In 1925 it was let to Percy Pratt, the village butcher, who also had the Slaughter House across the road between 18 and 20 High Street. This still exists, along with its gruesome collections of hooks, a hoist in the roof and drainage channels in the floor.
Image lent by : Mrs Margie Davies
Connected Photos: KL015 range | DK026 | KL031 | KL042
top of page
Eydon Village Photo Archive
bottom of page