Alfred James, known to all as Alf, is seen here sitting outside his cottage which was part of what is now known as 2 The Green.
Alfred was the founder of the Gubbins family who lived in Eydon for some 70 years. Born at Chipping Warden in 1868 he was described as a miller of Culworth when he married a local girl, Louisa Elizabeth Abbott, on Christmas Eve in 1888 and the marriage register notes that Alf was 21 years old and Louisa was 20.
The Rector who married them, the Rev. W.H.Chapman, was renowned as a stickler for compiling information and statistics so he added their ages even though the register didn’t require it. Alf and Louisa must have settled in Eydon immediately after their marriage and their firstborn son, Charles William, was the first of their children to be baptised in St Nicholas Church on 23rd of August 1891.
Alf lived in Eydon all his married life, he died and was buried at Eydon on the 5th November 1942 at the age of 75 and both he and his wife Louisa are buried alongside each other in the cemetery on the Culworth Road in Grave Numbers ES1 & ES2. See also KL285, KL286 & KL293
Image lent by Marion Wheatley