Further south from the view in SV002, the prominent building in the centre is the Elms,
It was built in 1825 as a new Rectory, but hardly used, probably due to the noise and smells arising from surrounding wood yard (to the right) and farmyards. In the foreground can be seen the signs of the new Eydon, which will double the size of the village in the 60 years following the Great War.
On the left we see a house built in 1953 and (just in the photo) the bungalow built five years later by local builder Don Cugini on the site of Annie Bricknell's abortive attempt to build a petrol station.
Next to that is another bungalow built by Jim Stimpson for his own use in 1963. [A full history of the 20th century buildings of Eydon can be found in 'Paupers. Pupils & Prisoners', the 2nd volume of EHRG research reports, available via our publications page.]
This photo is one of a series taken of the village by Skyview Archives, copies of which can be obtained from them at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting for this image J940-3.
Photographer: Skyview Archives Ltd
Image lent by : Mr Darren Powell SVA
Connected Photos: SV001 - SV026 range
top of page
Eydon Village Photo Archive
bottom of page