November 1921 a bleak winter photo of War Memorial Cross in the new churchyard extension.
The fund raising, design and choice of names to be included were carried out by a committee of six, all of whom, apart from the Rector, were or had been farmers. None has seen active service, none were ex-service men, none were born in the village, and in fact, half had lived here for less than 2 years when appointed to committee and three were 69 or over when appointed. It is not surprising that the memorial did not meet with universal approval in the village.
The story of which can be read in the 2014 EHRG Booklet of Research Reports, 'Lest We Forget', available via the publications page of this web site. The cross was dedication in September 1921, and the order of service can be read in DK103, DK103a and DK103b.
Image lent by : Mr David Kench
Connected Photos: DK103 | DK103a | DK103b | KL102 | KL102a
top of page
Eydon Village Photo Archive
bottom of page