The Royal Oak and Clubroom in 1965.
The clubroom, rebuilt as a single story clubroom, stables, store and outside toilets after a fire on January 8th 1893 destroyed the earlier building. In that fire, which started in the stables and killed one of the pub's horses, the Foresters lost their upstairs clubroom and all their regalia, including the banner.
The one thing to survive was their brand new safe, containing the deeds to the properties they held in the the village.
Photographer: Mr David Kench
Image lent by : Mr David Kench
Connected Photos: DK047 | DK010d the earlier building.