Great War Memorial to the sons of of the Rev William Lewis, placed in the chancel of St Nicholas Church in Eydon, by their father.

Erected in 1919, it caused controversy, both because the two young men, William E M Lewis and John T M Lewis, never lived here and probably never knew Eydon existed, and from the placing in the chancel, a site normally reserved for the clergy of the parish.

The Rev Lewis had served for 30 years and raised his family at Mountsorrel in Leicestershire. The loss of his two sons in the Great War, John in 1917 and William a year later, broke his spirit and he moved to Eydon to get away from those unhappy memories. Full story is told in 'Lest We Forget' Eydon in the Great War', EHRG Research Reports, Vol. 9, 2014.

Photographer: Mr David Kench

Image lent by : Mr David Kench

Connected Photos: DK094 | DK045

Memorial to the sons of Rev William Lewis, Eydon Church

SKU: DK095

Eydon Village Photo Archive

EHRG logo.png

Eydon Historical Research Group

c/o 30a High Street, Eydon,

Daventry, Northants. NN11 3PP